Sunday, June 7, 2009

Don't Cry Over Spilt Peaches

We are slowly returning to our "normal" routine. We have now gone over 48 hours without a fever! Spirit fingers inserted here! We rejoice over the fever diminishing because this is one thing that can really play havoc on SG's blood sugars.

Speaking of blood sugars...With the continual healing of her hand-foot-mouth disease is the slow return of her never ending appetite. Last night I felt like she couldn't get enough to eat, which resulted in a 400 blood sugar level at midnight. (I also have to mention that prior to dinner we had a 364 level that was corrected however we continued to give her a 1/2 dose of insulin because we thought she was still going to be picky over eating based on lunch.) So after giving an extra (correctional) dose of insulin at midnight and getting her to settle back down around 1:00 AM, we decided to return to our normal doses of insulin today. Which of course did somewhat get us because SG once again was picky at breakfast today and would only eat smooth, chilly things for breakfast.

Fortunately, the picky eating and a refusal of snack this morning didn't do that much harm to her levels, and she ate a magnificent lunch (thanks Kim & Cecile) of a grilled cheese, some french fries from 5 Guys, and lots to drink! We also got to visit with our new little friend Hope for a few minutes! We were so excited and really liked her pink toe nails. (Beth we might stop by for a free pedicure because Miss Carri is not good with that.)

She thoroughly enjoyed her lunch and brought much satisfaction to knock her out for a relaxing afternoon nap. Her nap was broken up in order to make sure she got her snack in before dinner which is when we had a MELT DOWN! I had given some peaches for snack, and when she went to grab one out of the bowl, the bowl flipped dumping the peaches all over the floor. Insert large tears and crying here. You would have thought SG had just received a big shot or the lab techs were here to visit for blood work. She did not calm down no matter how much I told her it wasn't a big deal, kisses on the forehead, back rubs...nothing worked until I put a new bowl of peaches on a plate. Her cow plate to be exact in which she responded with a loud MOOO!

Overall, I think we are beginning to return to some form of normalcy. My OCD is kicking in a lot the closer we are getting to our next appointment. I currently revamping SG's recording blood sugar log to allow for more detailed notes when "crazy" things occur; I bought a food scale today because I just can visualize 20g of an item in my head or with a measuring cup; and I am frantically trying to "sterilize" as much of my house to try to prevent any more sickness in the near future.

We all thank you for all your prayer support, baskets of goodies, flowers, etc. They have been the best pick-me-ups over the past few weeks. I wanted to take a minute to stop and say thanks because I worry so much that I might have forgotten to write some of you for the kind little gestures that you do each and every day! THANK YOU!

"I thank my God every time I remember you." - Philippians 1:3

P.S. Lisa your card yesterday meant the world to us! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment