Thursday, January 28, 2010

Papa Aust

This week has been very busy at The Dukes of 3 Bakery, which we are all so thankful! I even constructed free handed my first Superman cake.



However, we have not been so busy that I have stopped trying new recipes for dinner. I have been trying to cook all of the Southern Living recipes in January's issue. We have enjoyed trying new things. I have made what I think are some of the best pancakes ever and I generally don't like pancakes. Since January is rapidly coming to an end, I am ever looking ahead to February's issue and the adorable cookies on the front cover and some of the new cupcakes I will be offering at the bakery.



Well, all this brings me to today's creation for dinner. I landed upon the Chicken 'n Dumplings recipe. The way that the magazine presented this recipe was in two forms: 1) Mama's Old Fashioned Way or 2)The Updated Quick and Easy way. I chose, since I am home today, Mama's way. I have to say it brought back some wonderful childhood memories of my Papa Aust.

You see my Ama and Papa Aust were quite the cooks. Nothing, usually, came from a box. Everything was from scratch, including the chocolate covered cherries that I miss so much! Well, one of the things that Papa Aust used to make were these flat noodles that you could use in just about any soup or stew. They were to die for! But they took some time to make, including drying over night. I have made these only once since being married.

So this morning as I read through the recipe for Mama's Chicken and Dumplings, I couldn't help but hear my Papa's voice in my head. "Roll them thin or they will be too doughy." I did just that...I rolled the dumplings nice and thin.

Papa you would have been proud. I rolled them thin and the smell is just divine.

Please visit my Southern Living blog where I will keep you up to date on my progress of cooking through the magaazine.

In the meantime, I will pull up a chair, a good book and enjoy a nice warm bowl of Chicken 'n Dumplins tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment